My Blog List

Sunday, June 27, 2010

An education in vacation

Well, it's that time of year again. What time is that, you ask? Time for a summer vacation in Ohio. Scott came up to Memphis on Friday (which was a long-anticipated visit since we haven't seen each other in a MONTH!). I was definitely excited to see him, but unfortunately had to finish work and then take an exam before I could go out and play. So, being the understanding boyfriend that he is, Scott offered to go to a baseball game so I could stay home and study. Looks like he had a good time...




After I finished my exam, we went out to dinner with the Devines at Fresh Slices. Always a good time with those crazy kids. Scott managed to lose a $5 bet to our waiter about a menu item, but being the nice guy that he is, he paid up and still left a tip. Me, I'd probably have handed the waiter the $5 and some change for a tip. Lesson #1: Don't wager against the waiter.




We headed up to Ohio Saturday morning, and all in all it was an enjoyable drive. I read a chapter of A&P, and Scott managed the "driving" part of things. Brady just held the fort down in the back. Although she did try desperatley to get a bit of Scott's breakfast. I'm getting pretty used to this "Driving Miss Daisy" style ride. I'd have to say Lesson #2 is to always let someone else drive so you can take in the scenery, or read a book.



I learned Lesson #3 Sunday morning. My dad agreed to go for a walk with Scott and me at Virginia Kendall -- a great park with a lake and all kinds of hills. Brady had a fantastic time chasing barn swallows. So here's where the lesson comes into play: there's no way that dog was going to catch a barn swallow. But boy, she sure did try and she had a fantastic time at it. So, Lesson #3: Put your heart into everything you do full throttle, cause it can be a lot of fun.



I learned #4 from Brady. Simple, I know, but sometimes overlooked: A nap in the sun is a great way to pass the time.






More vacation lessons to come... and maybe I'll even go back to Virginia Kendall and get a video of Brady chasing the birds...

1 comment:

the harrison family said...

sounds like you're having a good time...and scott should have called Joe to get him to go to the game with him. i'm sure joe would have enjoyed a boys night. maybe next time.