My Blog List

Thursday, June 3, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

As I start the process of packing my life into cardboard boxes, preparing to move 400 miles away from the place I've called home for 6 years, I'm becoming ridiculously nostalgic. So, since I have nothing more important to impart in this blog, I'd like to take a few minutes to pay respect to my favorite things about Memphis.

1) Midtown. I love the character, the layout, the hustle and bustle, the funky original restaurants, and mostly, the people. I've met great neighbors, and so many people that embrace diversity. It will be hard to pull away from my street for the last time.

2) 5-minute magic. Whether its fresh produce from Easy Way, a glass of wine with a friend, or a random used book, I can find it within 5 minutes of my house. Which is great for me because I am one of the least patient people I know.

3) Overton Park. There's nothing I enjoy more than a trip to Overton Park with my dog on a spring day. She loves to swim in the pond, I love the scenery, and we both enjoy a few hours of fetch with the other dogs in the park. Only one problem -- the crazy ice cream truck that always says "hello!" That's just creepy.

4) My family and friends. I've met some awesome friends, and I've loved spending time with my cousins, aunt and uncle.

5) BBQ-Fest. The world championship barbeque cooking festival. Need I say more?

For anyone that hasn't made it to Memphis yet, it's definitely worth a visit. Or, like me, a 6-year stop on the road of life.

No comments: