My Blog List

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Operation "Stock the Freezer" is Under Way

In order to prepare myself (and Scott) for the hard winter months, I've decided it's time to take a lesson from the squirrels and start stocking away some acorns. (For those who are wondering, yes, I realize that "winter" in Baton Rouge doesn't really signal the end of the growing season, or a challenge for finding food. BUT, I've begun to think of the next ten months of my life while I'm in nursing school as the hard winter months. There will be no fun in the sun, no time or energy for extra activities, and surely no patience to fight my way through the goat rodeo that is WalMart in order to stock our fridge and cook meals.)

Although I'm confident that Scott would gladly take over grocery shopping and cooking, I don't want to make his life harder than it has to be. Although this sounds like it's an unselfish act, it's really just me trying to compensate for the fact that he's going to have to listen to me whine about my intense school workload for ten months.

To that end, I've made a few dishes to pile away in the freezer. Today's cooking included:
2 lasagnas
Pot of chili
Pot of Grandma Marshall's spaghetti sauce

 

Tomorrow, we'll tackle the red beans and rice. But tonight, we'll let the beans soak because, let's face it, beans really are "the musical fruit."

No comments: